Are Cats Good for Kids?
Cats Benefit Children
Cats can be a healthy and joyful addition to any family, and can help our children in a variety of ways.
Here are some examples:
- When kids imagine how a cat feels, it can help them learn to empathize with their peers and take their feelings into account.
- Teaching children to confide in their cats as if they were friends can help children recover from trauma.
- Children who own cats may have higher self-esteem.
- Teaching kids to care for a kitten can make them more cooperative and willing to share.
- Children who grow up with a cat are less likely to develop allergies.
- Kids who own cats may take fewer sick days.
The Calming Effect of Cats
Says Aaron Katcher, M.D., emeritus professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, “Because [humans] evolved solving problems about animals, animals have the power to entrain our attention. And when we are around animals, we become more joyous, communicative, expressive, and calm.”